Train City - Choochooauctions Message Forums​​​​​​​

Technical Issues
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Help learning more....

My dad was born in 1939. I've recently found his childhood American Flyer electric train set, (not in it's original box) and I'm trying to find more information on it.

The Engine has 302 printed on it and the attached car says Reading Line.

There's a red car that has a sliding door on each side. It has 633 and Baltimore & Ohio printed in white.

There's also a flat bed car that has C&N W.N.Y. 42597 printed on the side.

The caboose says Reading 630.

Packaged with it, is an Erector Set. The info on the Erector engine says it's and A-47 Electric Engine. 110-120v 25 Watts A.C. 60 cycles only. Made by the A.C. Gilbert Co.

Does the erector set have something to do with the train? Can I download instructions for the set online that you know of? Any information or resource links would be greatly appreciated. I'd like to be able to put it together, see what works and what doesn't and know if I'm missing anything.

Thank you!

Re: Help learning more....

Hello Dawn. The train was a 1948-1953 set. The #302 engine is a low-end model, worth less than $25.00. Cars are typical for a low-end set.

The Erector set was made by AC Gilbert who also made American Flyer trains. Both were often given together. If you have the Erector set box, it should have a #1 to 12. !2's were the biggest, best sets.

Hope this helps.

Bob Zimmer