Train City - Choochooauctions Message Forums​​​​​​​

Technical Issues
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: my dads trains

Hello Susan. You have a MARX train set. It runs on 027 track. Probably circa 1945-1959. If tin cars are in good shape, no rust, few scratches, set is worth $50-$75.00. From your description, I surmise that you will need a circle of Lionel 027 track and as many straights as you want for your set. Track is readily available. 8 curves required for a circle. A good dealer will have a power lockon and a necessary transformer to complete your set. The lockon is attached to the track with two wires to the transformer. the transformer safely reduces house current to the track, and provides direction and speed control.

Good luck in getting this old set up and running!!

Trainster

The cars are dusty and I want to clean them, but am afraid I might do more damage to the paint and lettering. Could you tell me how I can safely wash these off or if it is safe to use a cleaner and water on them with possibly a q tip to get in the little corners and areas?

hello Susan. Don't use cleaner. If they are dusty, use a soft brush to get rid of the dust. I suggest that you leave them at that.

Regards, Trainster