Train City - Choochooauctions Message Forums​​​​​​​

Technical Issues
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
allstate/marx train

Perhaps you can help me. I have an Allstate train set, model number on the box is "9534". The engine is marked, "the h
Hoosier line--21". "Monon" is also on each side. it's a red engine with a gray strip down the side. i would be interested to find SOMEONE ( ) who has heard of or can tell me about this set. a value would be appreciated also if possible.
I assume it is a Marx product since the center contact is copper.
thank you for your time!
LWB

Re: allstate/marx train

It's Marx and the number is in a series assigned to sets sold through Sears. Typically these sets had a Monon powered unit, a dummy unit, one of ten different numbered Merchandise Service boxcars, a Wabash gondola and a gray and red Monon caboose. Included were track and transformer. Condition is a big factor in determining value but prices tend to be all over the place at present. Hope this helps some.

Jim McClenin

Hello. I'll offer $65 plus shipping for the set if you'll send me a pic, and the cars are metal. $55.00 if the cars are plastic.

Trainster robertzimmer379@gmail.com

Thanks Jim! Here are the details. Correct on the engine. New Haven black/white boxcar--dark red Erie flat car with 1 car--light blue Allstate motor oil tanker--gray Portland cement boxcar--if "gondola" means "caboose with crane", you are correct there also.
The molded plastic holders for the cars also contains 8 pieces of curved track and 2 pieces of straight track.
There is a separate long flat box that rests inside on the top. It contains a 5 piece low rise bridge, 2 remote control switches, 1 curve piece, 1 straight piece, a white control panel, remote control switch instructions, 3 sets of wires, and the Allstate Ho electric trains instructions. The pieces are plastic.
The power pack is in a separate box with instructions.
It is in "very lightly used" condition.
I can and will send photos if/when I can find out how.
I appreciate you sharing your knowledge with me!

Hey Trainster!
Thank you, but I've been offered quite a bit more by others who have seen the photos of this set, (Maybe you might also) but I have decided to do a little more research about it. I'm hoping Jim might have a little more info for me when he has the time.
Maybe you might also.

Larry...My bad. I assumed you had the Marx O gauge set and the pieces I quoted were for that. The 9534 set is an HO scale diesel freight set containing a Monon red and gray GP7 loco, New Haven black and white box car, Erie flat with two automobiles, Allstate single dome tank car in blue and a Monon tuscan caboose with a hoist. Included were 18 pieces of track and a bridge. If the set is complete and contents are in excellent condition I think $85-$100 is about right; maybe a little more from the right buyer.

Jim McClenin

FYI.. The Marx Set Book by Greenberg has this at $75.00 in excellent condition. The only problem is the book is dated 1991. That was actually the bull run of the train market though. $65.00 seems like a fair offer to me. However if you put it in an auction who knows what you will acquire for it! Competition makes people crazy!

Charles Siegel

Thanks Jim! No need to apologize! Your info was great help! I actually sold it last night for $95. So, you telling me "85-100" makes me feel much better!
I should have sent you the link to it for you to check out.
Here is what I sold.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/220896084357?ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1562.l2649
I'm going to sell 2 other sets from Tyco soon. HO scale. I'll send the link to them when I list them.
Again, I really appreciate your help and your sharing of your expertise with me!

Larry B.

Thanks Charles! As I told Jim, it sold for $95 on Ebay.
I really appreciate the way experts in the toy train hobby share their knowledge with us IGNORANT people!
It's actually very rare to find such helpful and knowledgeable individuals!
Hats off to you guys!

Larry B.

Happy to help; glad things worked out for you.

Jim