Train City - Choochooauctions Message Forums​​​​​​​

Technical Issues
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
O gauge engines

Greetings, I recently came across/purchased 2 sets of engines, both sets seem to be intact with no missing parts, and both are operational. 1st set is marked "Lionel, Mt Clemens Mich" and consists of a Brown in color with gold stripes and a Brown PRR shield ELECTRIC Locomotive and DUMMY and both carry the number 8551 of Pennsylvania on the sides. 2nd set is NOT marked as to manufacturer as far as I can determine but consists of 3 pieces DIESEL Locomotive, Tender, and Dummy Engine all Green in color with some yellow accents and red stripes. The couplers on this set are different from other sets I have seen.

My questions are: How old are the sets, who made the 2nd set, and did I do wrong with buying the 5 pieces for $50.00?

There were no cars/rolling stock or track included but the guy did "throw in" a 60 watt transformer, type 4050 with Mt Clemens 548H on the bottom.

Re: O gauge engines

Sounds like you did good!

Re: O gauge engines

Thanks for your reply I have determined that the set with the strange couplers are MARX. By viewing photos on other sites the motor and center pick up rail are the same along with the couplers. Now I just have to figure out the age of them both. As a kid back in the mid 50's I had what I now know was a prewar Lionel set but space was limited so my folks had me HO stuff. After 22 years in the Army plus 22 years out and 6 wives..........I have no idea where the sets are now. My current wife has a 4 year old grandson and his eyes really light up when he comes to PaPa's house. Out on the back porch are 7 HO sets (11 power units pulling 68 cars) yeppers I have been busy on ebay. All are on a 6' X 8' platform but I gotta make it bigger for the O gauge stuff....just need to find some track and rolling stock for what he calls the "big stuff".