Train City - Choochooauctions Message Forums​​​​​​​

Technical Issues
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Hi Rail Track Recommendation

I am rebuilding my layout that has been in storage for 5 years and it has O guage Lionel tubular track.
I would like to move to the new track systems but I need some recommendations.

I will be running 4 trains on 2 levels and have been looking at the Atlas O and Lionel Fastrack brands.

Your help in suggesting the best is appreciated.

Re: Hi Rail Track Recommendation

I really like the Gargraves line. Very real looking with blackened center rail. Comes in various radii, 3' lengths, and shorter straights too. Realistic switches.

I have my system in 100% Gargraves.

Bob Zimmer (Trainster)

Thanks for the reply. Do you use the wood tie track or the plastic? In either case how do you hold it down, drill thru and screw to table?

Do you have all the sizes and turns and switches you need for your layout with GarGraves?

Where is the best place to purchase GarGraves?

Gary

Hi Gary. I use both types and screw to the table. My table is covered with indoor/outdoor carpet to enhance and reduce noise.

I have 072 mainline switches and 042 yard switches, all have manual throws, my preference. You can get remotes if you prefer. Gargraves has recently offered 054 switches too.

I usually purchase the track at Train World. See their ad in Classic Toy Trains.

Hope this helps, Bobz.

Bob,
I like that the GarGraves is US made.

Is the "flex track" easy to bend and make clean curves?

So you build up yours with carpet and then make your own road bed for realism?

Thanks for the info.

Gary

Since they make nice large and small radius curves, I don't bother to try to make curves.

Bobz