Train City - Choochooauctions Message Forums​​​​​​​

Technical Issues
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Lionel Outfit # 347

I am new to all this and I have a Lionel Electric Train, Outfit number 347 in it's origanal box. Every thing looks great and new but the lead wheels on the engine are falling apart. Can anyone give me an idea as to when this outfit was made? Thanks

Re: Lionel Outfit # 347

I believe the 347 contained the number 8 standard gauge engine, which was produced from 1925 through 1932.

It does contain a Red # 8 engine and a red # 337 & 338 cars plus all track and stuff. Any idea on value?? I can post pic's if needed.
Thanks

Stand alone #8 worth $195 - $250
if red #337 worth $95 - $190
#338 worth $95 - $190
Source: Greenberg's Lionel Trains 2009 Edition

Yes, Mike, you're quite welcome for the information you asked for.....

WJ What a unnecessary message. No need to be like that

Mike

The problem with your engine is that the wheels were made of a lead alloy. Throughout the 20's and well into the 30's manufacturers had a hard time making alloys that would not disintegrate. But because this is a common problem, any Lionel Service Station might be have replacement wheels. There are also many parts suppliers on the internet. Pick up a copy of Classic Toy TYrIns and you should find more than a few leads for parts dealers A standard gauge wheel puller is a relatively inexpensive tool and it will make the job of getting the old wheels off a lot easier. As for getting the new wheels on the axles the tool you'll need is a work table vise, and a little elbow grease.

Those old engines are, other than their alloy wheels all be indestructible! A little lubrication here and there, clean the motor contacts, (if the motor brushes are worn replacement parts for them are also available) and with its new wheels it will run down its track for another 80-90 years.. I'd also but a drop of oil on the wheels of each car your engine will be pulling.