Train City - Choochooauctions Message Forums​​​​​​​

Technical Issues
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
pricing on lionel trains

how do i find out how to price an antique linoel train. is there a book available. I have a train that is still in the box, but there insn't a date on the train or the box.Judging by train it is from the 40's. If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it.

Re: pricing on lionel trains

You could try our price guide.. here is the link:

http://www.traincity.com/price_guide/

I would recommend Greenbergs Guide to Lionel Trains, 1945-69 by Paul Ambrose. He does a great job and is supposed to be one of the foremost authorities on post war trains.

HI: WHEN YOU SAY TRAIN DO YOU MEAN A WHOLE SET(ENGINE AND CARS)? OR ONE PIECE? EITHER WAY EACH ITEM SHOULD HAVE A NUMBER ON IT. THEY ARE USUALLY ON THE SIDE, BUT SOME ENGINES(STEAM TYPE) HAVE IT ON THE NOSE. A GOOD CHEAP BOOK TO GET IS A GREENBERG'S POCKET PRICE GUIDE TO LIONEL TRAINS 1901-2009. AN OLDER ONE WOULD ONLY GO TO THE YEAR IT WAS PRINTED. YOU CAN FIND THEM ONLINE AND AT THE BIG CHAIN BOOKSTORES. THE LOCAL STORES DON'T STOCK A LOT OF THESE TYPES OF BOOKS DUE TO THE NARROW INTEREST RANGE SO BE SURE TO CHECK BEFORE YOU GO. THE PIECES ARE ARRANGED IN PREWAR, POSTWAR, MODERN ORDER. GENERALLY AS THE NUMBERS GET BIGGER THE PIECE GETS NEWER. THE LATE FORTIES IS POSTWAR.
GOOD LUCK
MIKE