Train City - Choochooauctions Message Forums​​​​​​​

Technical Issues
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Shipment Damages Anyone?

Hi there fellow buyers on Choochoo auctions. Has any body been having items shipped to them in the last few months that have had damages on them? I have and it is getting to be about every box that comes to me recently due to poor packaging in the shipping department and not Fedex. A 840 power station base damaged, 313 bascule bridge crushed, and a second 313 bacule bridge that was packed loose in the box and needed to be straightened also, T-rail track broken rails of the ties, 1835 boiler latch busted of the boiler, T-rail switch cover broken to name a few. And just today a MTH 400E with roof broken off due to the item was packed in box that was shorter then the engine. If anybody is having problems please reply to this email and tell me. Thank you all in advance, Bryan.

Re: Shipment Damages Anyone?

Yes, me too. I was beginning to think the people packing didnt like me or something. I see now they just need to undertand, these items need to be properly packed, so they cant move about in the packaging.

Heavy engines wrapped in a few layers of bubblewrap, or worse...newspaper, will settle through packing peanuts and rest up against the side of the box and get dammaged from any sort of bang on the outside of the box. That coupler up against the side of a box, with just a layer or 2 of bubblewrap, with the heavy engine behind hit will bend or break very easily.

Box in box is the only proper way to package most of these items. And usually the only way an insurance provider would cover a shipment. For awhile there, someone had it down to a science. I think that was in Erie though. A layer or 2 of bubblewrap, followed by a layer of cardboard, with the coupler ends double cushioned with bubblewrap. Then these smaller packages or boxes placed in a larger box with a 1 or 2 inch layer of wrap or peanuts or balled up(tightly) newspaper is fine(but heavy)all around the smaller boxes.

Once the box is packed and taped up, shake it a little. Nothing should be moving around.

Remember also that peanuts will settle after a while. there's nothing worse then picking up your box that has just been delivered, and feeling the contents move around inside like the box is just 1/2 full of peanuts. Shake them dowm while you are adding them. Make sure there is no room for any additional settling of them before closing the box. You should have to force them down a little with the flaps when closing the box.

Just my lil 1 1/2 cents worth.

I know they can do it! They've done it before!

I have never had problems on choo choo auctions, it has been a while since i have purchased any O scale stuff.

but the last HO scale stuff I purchased 6 months ago arrived safe and sound, Charles had it well wrapped and packed.

as for ebay, I have a serious rant about the ebay seller trainz , their packing leaves more to be desired.

take care
George

Sombody broke my twain...Booo Hooooo Hoooo

Yes Lonny, you of all people should know trains get broken if not packed properly.

Happy New Year 2 you 2!

I have made 7 purchases since choochooauctions mover to Fla. Everyone of them came well packed, no damage. Maybe I've been lucky, but remember, these items are also handled (?) by warehouse people during shipment, and they aren't the gentlest people society has to offer.
It's a shame if any of this merchandise gets damaged, but it won't get fixed by ranting about it on here. There is a phone number that will put you in touch, but I've seen little reference here to anyone using that method to solve their problems.

Actually, I think it has helped by bringing it up here on the board. I didn't start the thread, but as Charlie noted on another thread, constructive criticism is a good thing. Everybody makes mistakes, especially if their just learning, and in every process there is ALWAYS room for improvement.

Packaging of my items has improved since this thread appeared. Thank you very much Charlie and crew! That doesn't mean this thread is responsible, but I fail to see how it could hurt discussing it like adults. I have emailed and made calls about problems in the past also. This just seems like another viable alternative to see how widespread the problem may be and offer solutions. There are OTHER sellers here who might be new and could use some experienced advice, no?

Anyone making light of some damage to these expensive items does not help. Especially from an experienced packer.

Of course the shipping company can mistreat packages. That happens all the time, which makes packaging them properly very very important. They recommend and/or require the packages be able to withstand a 5ft drop. That's alot for a heavy F3 or how about a heavy G scale LGB engine? Packing one of those succesfully without it's original box can be quite the challenge for a beginner.
I wonder how many of the sellers here are just learning about packaging? Box in box is the proper way, as described above.
Heck, I think a good description (worded better then mine of course,)on proper procedure for packing these trains might be a good paragraph on the home page, or maybe just a link to one?

There's a thought!

Cheers all and happy railroading!