Train City - Choochooauctions Message Forums​​​​​​​

Technical Issues
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Sealed boxes in my collection

Hello everyone,

We seem to be making some progress on our preparation to move. Although I am going a little crazy!!

I have come across some post war American Flyer accessories that are sealed in the original boxes. These are from my collection and I'd forgotten about them. The boxes have never been opened. To be honest I have never dealt much with sealed items as I don't own an x-ray machine!

Does anyone know if these bring a large premium over just mint items in unsealed boxes? I am tempted to open them, but just thought I'd get some feedback before I do.

I was about to open the talking station, but Ebbie had a fit, so I promised I'd ask before I did so.

Thanks for any help.

Charles Siegel

Re: Sealed boxes in my collection

Don't open em! I wouldn't! Not opened does bring a premium, but I'm not sure on what items. I used to own a xray machine too....darnit. :o)

I agree they should be kept sealed. You have a Mint sealed Talking Station?! Good heavens, I wouldn't be surprised if it were the "worlds last one and only" It's no wonder Ebbie had a fit! Postwar stuff that is rare or scarce should be kept sealed. My neighbor is a Dental Assistant and can run an x-ray machine.

DON"T OPEN THEM!!!!!! Being sealed takes them a step up beyond mint.Take them to the hospital E.R. and have them X RAYED. RUSTY RAILS

I would agree with these guys. Though I've had no first-hand experience, the guys on a train forum in which I participate seem to hold the highest regard for sealed boxes, saying the value drops as soon as the item is once removed; kind of like driving a new car off of the lot.

Who Gives a rat's ass what EBBIE says. Go for it!!! Open them up and watch the value drop 25%.

lol..aren't ya glad ya asked?

:o)

I got my bid in....

I totally expect to be out bid. If not, kewl. If so, so be it!

Hey Charles, a heads up on the listing. You have it in Lionel and Prewar.

Thanks very much for the advice. I re-posted the auction after learning I had it in the wrong category.

We at TRAIN CITY ( Ebbie's coworkers).Feel we should all give " A RAT'S ASS" about anything Ebbie says. The man is a walking TRAIN BRAIN. Lonny Bowsox, SHIPPING DEPT. TRAIN CITY