Train City - Choochooauctions Message Forums​​​​​​​

Technical Issues
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Train layouts in Magazines

Hey Guys, does anybody out there like myself ever notice in some cases how fake the layouts look in some of the train magazines on the newstand
today. how steam engines are in pictures with corvettes and modern buildings in the backround and modern day diesels are pictured with antique cars in old western towns ect. ect. anyhow I just recently submitted some photos to Classic Toy Trains photo album section of a train station, people, and two Ready Made Toys diesels Conrail and Norfolk Southern I had taken last year of an outdoor 0-27 gauge layout I made. the pictures were turned down by the magazine because they said on my voice-mail that the lighting was not not good enough.I would think in most cases that a magazine of great magnitude would be able to make the proper adjustments if that were really the case. I wish all of you would please be the judge for yourself. and check out my photos on my website under outdoor station section at: http://www.freewebs.com/jonstraincollection and sign my guestbook with your comments and compare my photos to some of the photos in magazines today. I don't understand how much more realistic a person can get than I did using the natural environments like grass,sand,real water,and wood as a trackbed. please don't get me wrong I do like some of the photos in the magazines, but I can't see mixing steam engines with skyscrapers. Thank you all! Jon.

Re: Train layouts in Magazines

-Like you, 'Vettes and steam engines together seem jarring to my eyes, but maybe the steamer's pulling a railfan train! Anyway, if the builder has fun, well that's his thing.
-In my humble opinion it appears that your photography may be on about the same level as mine: not qu-i-ite ready for prime time. CTT has also rejected me for inadequate lighting. But they must get plenty of useable shots that don't need tinkering, so have no need to mess with ours, eh? I must say, CTT does have outstanding photos.
-I browsed your attractive website and signed your guestbook. Check it out, people.