Train City - Choochooauctions Message Forums​​​​​​​

Technical Issues
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Marx trains kaput again

FYI - Marx trains is kaput (again). Read a discussion on oguagerr.infopop.cc/eve/forums. The most telling sentence in an email to one customer: "Due to serious problems we are ceasing production until further notice." Couldn't be because of lead paint - they weren't made in China!

Re: Marx trains kaput again

According to a couple of people I have chatted with, it's sales,

Marx reissues are too overpriced, why spend $400 or more on one of their sets when you can have a lionel or MTH,

Marx was doing good on the nostalgia market, but the problem I hear is sales.

K-Line took control of a lot of old Marx tooling, the diecast steamer in their basic steam sets, that one was a staple for marx for years.

the people who were currently running Marx were collectors, but the problem is the fact they really didn't want to expand with new tooling or new items,

you can only reissue a set so many times,

I like some marx stuff, the one with the actual 4 wheel trucks, not the cheese they made at the end with the 2 wheel trucks,

only time will tell if marx ever comes back

George.

I believe sales drives any market. I suspect this runs deeper.

I don't believe the sets were over priced. I have yet paid 400.00 for a set. I own several.

I don't know a thing about the nostalgia market, and I believe K-line had the steam die cast castings years ago. I have a K-line 3017 that is a spitting image of the Marx 333 I own.

I do not know the new owners of Ameritrains; the Flynn’s were and still are great folks. They cared about the product they produced.

As far as reissues, look at Lionel, MTH, and Weaver. Talk about reissues.

I do agree with you on the 4-wheel versus 2-wheel. No contest.

I won't address the "Made in America" versus "Made in China" issue. That belongs in another forum.

Rod LaFrance

George

I must correct myself. I paid 406.00 for an Ameritrains White set on Ebay today. So I have paid over 400.00 for a set, yet I still don't mind that it's not a Lionel. FYI, I do own and enjoy Postwar Lionel, and AF as well. Another FYI, is there a glimmer of life in the Ameritrains? the Web site is up again. Stay tuned.

Rod LaFrance