Train City - Choochooauctions Message Forums​​​​​​​

Technical Issues
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
?? About Electric Model Trains

I purchased my son his first Lionel for his 4th birthday this year... I must say he takes VERY good care of it too!!! I have a question.. I want to know if we can only use Lionel Products with the train set? I would like to purchase some other engines and cars for him for from EBAY for Christmas but I am not sure if other brands will work? Can anyone help?? Can you also explain the scale thing ex: HO & N??

Thanks so much!!

Michele Wolf
Westernport, MD

Re: ?? About Electric Model Trains

Hello Michael

is the train set a Lionel O scale set?

There is different scales, Gauge 1, G Scale, O scale, S scale, HO scale, TT Scale, N Scale, and Z scale

there might be more,

O scale is supposed to be 1/48th scale, but a lot of the Lionel stuff over the years is actually not to scale with some exceptions of the Standard Scale , and scale stuff they produced.

most of the O scale Produced is three rail track, there is scale two rail track also, mostly people who are into scale railroading use it, and it is not interchangable with 3 rail track

Ho scale is 1/87th scale, it is very common, mostly two rail tracks with the exception of Marklin and some other european stuff.

if it is a Lionel O scale set, K-Line, MTH, Rail King, Williams and Atlas will work with it,

if it is G scale, only G scale trains will work with it, and the couplers are different on G scale stuff, some of it is the american style knuckle couplers, some of it is the european style couplers, so it is limited on what you can use.

Talk to Charles at Train city, or look at choo choo auctions, there is some good deals there without going to evilbay.

take care

George

Re: Re: ?? About Electric Model Trains

Thanks George you have been very helpful... It is the O scale with the 3 rails and I will take your advice and look @ Choo Choo Auctions!!

Take Care!!

Michele