Train City - Choochooauctions Message Forums​​​​​​​

Technical Issues
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Transformer terminal question

Hi all... New guy here. My wife bought me a 1950's era Lionel train off of Ebay which is very similar to the one I had as a child... In fact the transformer, as near as I can tell is exactly the same as are some of the cars...

The transformer has four terminals, and the track has one wire coming from the middle rail and one from the outside rail...

Iv'e tried various combinations but cant' seem to the the hook-up correct...
If I call the four terminals, (from left to right) looking down on the transformer A B C D can anybody tell me which wire goes to which terminal? Thanks a bunch in advance... Dave

Re: Transformer terminal question

Hi Dave. The transformer would help. If you have a 1033 transformer, hook your wires to the "U" terminal and the "A" terminal. This gives you the maximum power to the track. If your train runs too fast, move the A wire to the B terminal.

Let me know if this helps.

Bobz

Re: Transformer terminal question

Hi Dave

I'm reading this a little late after you posted but if it is the 1033 transformer here is how it works. You will find Five volts fixed volts between Posts A and B, Eleven volts fixed voltage between Posts B and C, Sixteen volts fixed voltage between Posts A and C, Posts A to U provide variable voltage from 5 to 16 volts and Posts B to U provide variable voltage from 0 to 11 volts.
Naturally, the fixed voltage is for accessories and the variable is for your engine.
Remember, the "U" terminal should be connected to the outside rail.

Hope this helps.
Steve