Train City - Choochooauctions Message Forums​​​​​​​

Technical Issues
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
lionel - vs- railking

I AM LOOKING TO GET A STARTER SET OF THE SANTA FE RAILROAD.
LOOKING AT RAILKINGS SANTA FE F3 SEMI SCALE PASSENGER SET WITH PROTO SOUND 2.
AND LIONELS FT PASSENGER SET WITH RAILSOUNDS.# 30001
WHO HAS THE BETTER MOTORS IN THE LOCO ?, AND WHO HAS THE BETTER SOUNDING ,SOUND SYSTEM?
ANY INFO WOULD BE A GREAT HELP.
THANK YOU

Re: lionel - vs- railking

I don't think there is that much differnce,BUT! as for me, well i would say "BUY AMERCIAN" mth is made here and supported here. lionel move the company out of the usa.
not that thay don't make good stuff,but if you were to need parts latter on who would you like to deal with?

Re: Re: lionel - vs- railking

Please... let's not start another MTH Lionel war but I'd like to make one correction. MTH has always been made overseas. Lionel followed suit a couple of years ago. Both products are made abroad, but have sales offices here in the United States.

Charles Siegel

Re: lionel - vs- railking

You'll be very happy with the Railking set w/ Proto 2.0. It's far and away a more advanced system than Lionels. The battery has a self-charging system and,like all batteries (car, truck,boat, may need to be replaced every 4-6 years. I think the quality is better, too. Having a Grandson, we went thru both Lionel and MTH purchases(in fact, the RK Santa Fe Set)and concluded MTH was the better value.

Re: Re: lionel - vs- railking

well i bought my set,a lionel # 30001 santa fe el capitain passenger set.lionel has picked up the pace and the set is great! railsounds and crew cab and dispatch talk, no tmcc here,all sounds are real nice and no proto battery to mess with.lionel,s detail on this set is top notch and passenger car doors open and spring shut.i have no problem with mth, seen a set at my loco train shop,but i think lionel has a winner here.
thank,s for the input folks.