Train City - Choochooauctions Message Forums​​​​​​​

Technical Issues
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Old Lionel Train repair question

Hi all this is my first post, My father just gave me his old Lionel Train set he is 57 I am 27. I remember all the fun I had with it when I was a kid and want to get it running again. It is still in my parent’s basement. I searched e-bay and I am sure it is a 225E Loco with 2235W Grey Coal Pile Tender. I remember when I was kid I put the set through hell and back by the end the loc was week barley able to pull 4 cars, the smoke no longer workes and the front light was dead. I called a local repair shop and they said they would be able to fix it. My question is should I get it fixed or should I leave it alone and get a new engine. I am worried that by getting it fixed with newer parts that it might diminish the value. I figure that the set has to be around 50 years old. I can’t wait to introduce my new 6-month-old daughter to her first Lionel set.

thanks

Re: Old Lionel Train repair question

It's not a grey 225 with a coal tender. Smoke comes six years later.

Get the train out and take it to your local repair place and get it fixed. You will not ruin the value of any old train by making it work unless you paint it.

Re: Old Lionel Train repair question

Hi Kevin old parts are good. but new parts works to .wont diminish the value. diminish the value if repainting.