Train City - Choochooauctions Message Forums​​​​​​​

Technical Issues
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Dirty / Rusty

Hi. Can anyone help me out? I see on some items that it is stated they are dirty or rusty but should cleap up. What is the best way to remove dirt and rust without harming the finish on the train? Thanks. Tom

Re: Dirty / Rusty

Dirt, it depends on what the dirt is. Most dirt can be cleaned off with soap and water or mild cleaners. Rust does not "clean off". Sellers who state this should be avoided as they are clueless or con artists. Rust is a corrosion of the metal surface, and said surface must them be stripped, repaired and refinished.

Re: Re: Dirty / Rusty

I guess that puts me in the clueless or con artist category. Actually I have said that in auctions, but in the case of very light surface rust. This will clean off or improve drastically by using WD-40, which also protects the surface from re-occurance.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Dirt, it depends on what the dirt is. Most dirt can be cleaned off with soap and water or mild cleaners. Rust does not "clean off". Sellers who state this should be avoided as they are clueless or con artists. Rust is a corrosion of the metal surface, and said surface must them be stripped, repaired and refinished.

Re: Re: Re: Dirty / Rusty

WD-40 will make it appear less rusty and may remove the first coloration of rust, but the surface has been permanently damaged. As Neil Young says, "Rust Never Sleeps!"

Replying to:

I guess that puts me in the clueless or con artist category. Actually I have said that in auctions, but in the case of very light surface rust. This will clean off or improve drastically by using WD-40, which also protects the surface from re-occurance.

Replying to:

Re: Re: Re: Dirty / Rusty

That would also put me in the same catergory. I recently sold a bunch of lionel trains that had surface rust forming and that did not stop any buyers from bidding, Even those with huge knowledge of train collecting. Yes You can remove the rust but you will need to repaint,ect. that area. It's better than letting the rust eat it away.
Angie

Re: Re: Re: Re: Dirty / Rusty

Once again, you do not have to paint over light surface rust. If it is very light simply use WD-40. This not only eliminates the rust but prevents and protects the surface. This is an easy fix for very light rust. Medium to heavier rust, now that's a different story!!!