Train City - Choochooauctions Message Forums​​​​​​​

Technical Issues
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
HELP PLEASE

To All You Train Experts,

I need some information about a old Lyonell train set,tracks, accessories, lights,power box ( what we called it).

These trains were a gift from my Dad to my Brother in the early 1950's. Fortunatly for me they were given to me for my son when he was young. My son is now 23, I have had these boxes collecting dust in my garage all of these years.

I pulled the box down last night to take a look at them. I was happy to see that they all were in there original boxes and were in perfect condition. The engine was very heavy and looked mighty impressive From what I saw off hand there were 5-6 cars and 3 lights. One was a railroad crossing light I remember it dinging when the train approached. I also remember the train sounding like a real train, it even had the whistle blowing sound. My Dad used to put a lighted cigarette in the engines stack so it had the smoke effect LOL. It was a big deal in our house to put the tracks and train together and then watch it go. Let's see, I also remember it having a special track that directed it to go on differaent tracks. As you can tell I don't know much about trains or the lingo, so bear with me please hehe. Oh there is also a old fashion looking street light and the one that was my favorite a large light tower thingy haha. It had a red and green light that rotated around and around. Wow when my Dad turned off the lights and we watched the train go around and around with that light tower spinning, the whstle sound, the dinging red crossing lights flashing.......well let's just say as a young kid it was just about the coolest thing since sliced bread !

Other than this post being a trip down memory lane for me, I do have a question for you all.

We are getting ready to move. I don't know weather I should hang on longer to the train stuff and track's or hand them over to my son. I know I have only given you a generalized description of the train and things, but do you think I have some things of real value ? (Other than sentimentaly)?

I am planning on going out to the garage today to more closley look at the boxes and the individual cars and things. I would love to itemize them.....ummmmm but what do I need to look for to do that? Like I said I am nieve when it comes to these things. Either way weather I keep them or pass them down to our son I feel it would be a good idea to know just what I have here. One final question, what is the best way to store the boxes with the cars and engine along with the tracks ?

I thank you all in advance for your patience and any information you would be kind enough to give me regarding the train.

Terry

Re: HELP PLEASE

Hi Terry,

Your set could be worth anything from $10 to $1000 or more, depending on the contents and condition. If it was used, then it would not be considered in mint condition. To determine the value, you need to itemize the contents. Look for a 3 or 4 digit number on the box and that should help identify the car.

If you plan to keep them stored for a long time, oil the engine, put the items in their original boxes and store that in a place that is dry and foes not get too hot.

Hope this helps,

Bruce

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I need some information about a old Lyonell train set,tracks, accessories, lights,power box ( what we called it).

These trains were a gift from my Dad to my Brother in the early 1950's. Fortunatly for me they were given to me for my son when he was young. My son is now 23, I have had these boxes collecting dust in my garage all of these years.

I pulled the box down last night to take a look at them. I was happy to see that they all were in there original boxes and were in perfect condition. The engine was very heavy and looked mighty impressive From what I saw off hand there were 5-6 cars and 3 lights. One was a railroad crossing light I remember it dinging when the train approached. I also remember the train sounding like a real train, it even had the whistle blowing sound. My Dad used to put a lighted cigarette in the engines stack so it had the smoke effect LOL. It was a big deal in our house to put the tracks and train together and then watch it go. Let's see, I also remember it having a special track that directed it to go on differaent tracks. As you can tell I don't know much about trains or the lingo, so bear with me please hehe. Oh there is also a old fashion looking street light and the one that was my favorite a large light tower thingy haha. It had a red and green light that rotated around and around. Wow when my Dad turned off the lights and we watched the train go around and around with that light tower spinning, the whstle sound, the dinging red crossing lights flashing.......well let's just say as a young kid it was just about the coolest thing since sliced bread !

Other than this post being a trip down memory lane for me, I do have a question for you all.

We are getting ready to move. I don't know weather I should hang on longer to the train stuff and track's or hand them over to my son. I know I have only given you a generalized description of the train and things, but do you think I have some things of real value ? (Other than sentimentaly)?

I am planning on going out to the garage today to more closley look at the boxes and the individual cars and things. I would love to itemize them.....ummmmm but what do I need to look for to do that? Like I said I am nieve when it comes to these things. Either way weather I keep them or pass them down to our son I feel it would be a good idea to know just what I have here. One final question, what is the best way to store the boxes with the cars and engine along with the tracks ?

I thank you all in advance for your patience and any information you would be kind enough to give me regarding the train.

Terry

Re: Re: HELP PLEASE

Hi Bruce,

Thanks for replying to my post and the good advice you gave me. Since I last posted I have taken a look at each item individual. I was thrilled to see and find that the boxes were just like new and so were the trains I did find a note from my Dad at the bottom of the box they were stored in. It stated that one of the engines was purchased in 1941

I looked up as many as I could on the Webb. To list just a few, one was a caboose (reddish, maroon color) a coal car, and a few others I can't remember off hand, I'm pretty sure there were 7 in all. Most of the cars listed aprox. for $100.00 each for that particular train piece. It said nothing about what they were worth if you added the original in perfect conditioned box. The large light I described in my last post is also in mint condition, even down to the round green and red light that rotates. I was so impressed with the condition of everything. I don't know if that gives you any more information to give me a approximate value ?

I have a few more simple questions for ya if you would be kind enough to answer them for me. When you said oil the engine ummm is there a special kind of oil that you recommend ? I found the 2 controllers were not in a box, along with two rail road crossing lights. Do collectors sell original boxes ? Do you think it is worth it for me to go about searching for them ? I also have a large box of tracks that to me looked in good shape. What is the best way to store all of these items other than just placing them back into the large box they were in ? Are Train Tracks like antiques where it isn't a good idea to polish them up or not ? Thanks again !

Terry

Replying to:

Hi Terry,

Your set could be worth anything from $10 to $1000 or more, depending on the contents and condition. If it was used, then it would not be considered in mint condition. To determine the value, you need to itemize the contents. Look for a 3 or 4 digit number on the box and that should help identify the car.

If you plan to keep them stored for a long time, oil the engine, put the items in their original boxes and store that in a place that is dry and foes not get too hot.

Hope this helps,

Bruce

Replying to:

Terry