Train City - Choochooauctions Message Forums​​​​​​​

Technical Issues
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Lionel Box!

Ok ya'll. I have been trying to research this box # to no avail. Anyone ever hear of a #98 set? It was O gauge, and i would like to know what came in it! Thanks, Jim

Re: Lionel Box!

The only thing I can think of off hand Jim is the Prewar #98 Coal Bunker.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Ok ya'll. I have been trying to research this box # to no avail. Anyone ever hear of a #98 set? It was O gauge, and i would like to know what came in it! Thanks, Jim

Re: Re: Lionel Box!

Sorry..........it was a complete train set, regular size box. Got it an an auction with a 253 w/(2) 602 pass. cars and one 612 observation. A 252E w/(2) 207 pass. cars and a 608 observation. Last but not least, a 152 w/ a 901 and a 482 caboose. (I know, what a find, eh?) No track and no transformer. Any ideas???

Thanks, Jim

Replying to:

Replying to:

Re: Re: Re: Lionel Box!

Sounds to me like it is an uncataloged set. My guess is that it was a department store exclusive made for Macy's or perhaps even Gimbel's.

Replying to:

Sorry..........it was a complete train set, regular size box. Got it an an auction with a 253 w/(2) 602 pass. cars and one 612 observation. A 252E w/(2) 207 pass. cars and a 608 observation. Last but not least, a 152 w/ a 901 and a 482 caboose. (I know, what a find, eh?) No track and no transformer. Any ideas???

Thanks, Jim

Replying to:

Replying to:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Lionel Box!

Any Idea of what it would be worth? (no it's not for sale)just curious. Thanks, Jim

Replying to:

Sounds to me like it is an uncataloged set. My guess is that it was a department store exclusive made for Macy's or perhaps even Gimbel's.

Replying to:

Thanks, Jim

Replying to:

Replying to:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Lionel Box!

It depends on condition and most importantly BOXES. Crisp original boxes. Boxes command a substantial premium on the pre and postwar market. Everything is boxes,boxes,boxes. I refuse to buy any that does not have a crisp original box.

Replying to:

Any Idea of what it would be worth? (no it's not for sale)just curious. Thanks, Jim

Replying to:

Replying to:

Thanks, Jim

Replying to:

Replying to:

Re: Lionel Box!

It is a cataloged set from 1925. I had one about ten years ago. It came with a dark green 253 with hand reverse, two 610 pullmans, and a 612 observation. Mine was a full excelent in the box, including set box, all car and engine boxes, rheostat,and track. It sold for $375. Value today most likely between $400- $500 in ther same condition.

Replying to:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Lionel Box!

This box is in very good shape. It has one corner torn.Labels in great shape.

Replying to:

It depends on condition and most importantly BOXES. Crisp original boxes. Boxes command a substantial premium on the pre and postwar market. Everything is boxes,boxes,boxes. I refuse to buy any that does not have a crisp original box.

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

Thanks, Jim

Replying to:

Replying to:

Re: Re: Lionel Box!

Thanks to Anonymous for the info!!!! Alas I do not have the boxes for the cars, or the Engine. Set box is in great shape, as are the cars & engine No rheostat or track. Thanks again!!!

Jim

Replying to:

It is a cataloged set from 1925. I had one about ten years ago. It came with a dark green 253 with hand reverse, two 610 pullmans, and a 612 observation. Mine was a full excelent in the box, including set box, all car and engine boxes, rheostat,and track. It sold for $375. Value today most likely between $400- $500 in ther same condition.

Replying to: