Train City - Choochooauctions Message Forums​​​​​​​

Technical Issues
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Postwar will rise again

I strongly believe that within the next few years, prices for Like New boxed, and Mint Postwar items will sky rocket out of sight, especially items with crisp original boxes. I started collecting boxed outfits in the mid 90's and let me tell you it was not an easy task. I was a teenager in high school and had to work all summer long to be able to obtain some of the sets I desired. Nowadays all I hear is the same old thing: guys saying that Postwar prices will fall. I strongly disagree. I believe that some of the outfits and F3's that I paid good money for a few years ago will be worth twice as much in years to come as long as I preserve them like I have been.

Re: Postwar will rise again

Don't bet your retirement money on it! Postwar will never make the transition to antique status like the prewar trains have. It doesn't have the sex appeal of old toys from days gone by. Post war Lionel, to those who do not have a childhood link to it, is just a model train. They look just like the ones made this year. You are partially right in that MINT/BOXED items that are scarce will continue to appreciate somewhat, but only for a few more years until the last of the boomers get what they want, or retire. We have already seen a vast downward spiral of prices for everything that is not new/boxed over the last ten years. This is from lack of demand as boomers either have what they want, or are selling to fund their retirement. The high prices for minty stuff will only hold out another ten or twenty years until the majority of the people who have had a childhood connection with post war die off, or begin to retire in mass. For the most part the last boomers that got Lionel as a child are now in their 50's. When these folks hit their 70's it is over. There will not be any demand, ZERO, for postwar, other then as a model railroad. In 2020 expect your post war trains to be worth no more then the price of a new model made in the same year. As for boxes they will have no value at all. The only people "collecting" in 20 years will be a small group of diehards that meet in their skilled nursing facility in York, Pa. twice a year. My suggestion if you want trains as an investment is to stay with the prewar trains. The prices have held up thru the divestment by those who recollected their childhood.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I strongly believe that within the next few years, prices for Like New boxed, and Mint Postwar items will sky rocket out of sight, especially items with crisp original boxes. I started collecting boxed outfits in the mid 90's and let me tell you it was not an easy task. I was a teenager in high school and had to work all summer long to be able to obtain some of the sets I desired. Nowadays all I hear is the same old thing: guys saying that Postwar prices will fall. I strongly disagree. I believe that some of the outfits and F3's that I paid good money for a few years ago will be worth twice as much in years to come as long as I preserve them like I have been.

Re: Re: Postwar will rise again

I agree to a point. Prewar trains are very strong especially examples in EX or better with nice boxes. Postwar die out? I do not think so. However, I do agree strongly with the fact that today's collectors who are getting old: They never want to sell any items out of their personal collections. I've been hounding my dealer for years now to part with one of the several sealed in master carton 773's he has(late variation) and guess what: he won't sell! That's no problem on my account because I know he and the majority of the top collectors can't live forever and they can't take their collections with them when they pass on. Rest assure, thats where I will step in. I don't mean to sound morbid but I'm speaking the truth.

Replying to:

Don't bet your retirement money on it! Postwar will never make the transition to antique status like the prewar trains have. It doesn't have the sex appeal of old toys from days gone by. Post war Lionel, to those who do not have a childhood link to it, is just a model train. They look just like the ones made this year. You are partially right in that MINT/BOXED items that are scarce will continue to appreciate somewhat, but only for a few more years until the last of the boomers get what they want, or retire. We have already seen a vast downward spiral of prices for everything that is not new/boxed over the last ten years. This is from lack of demand as boomers either have what they want, or are selling to fund their retirement. The high prices for minty stuff will only hold out another ten or twenty years until the majority of the people who have had a childhood connection with post war die off, or begin to retire in mass. For the most part the last boomers that got Lionel as a child are now in their 50's. When these folks hit their 70's it is over. There will not be any demand, ZERO, for postwar, other then as a model railroad. In 2020 expect your post war trains to be worth no more then the price of a new model made in the same year. As for boxes they will have no value at all. The only people "collecting" in 20 years will be a small group of diehards that meet in their skilled nursing facility in York, Pa. twice a year. My suggestion if you want trains as an investment is to stay with the prewar trains. The prices have held up thru the divestment by those who recollected their childhood.

Replying to:

Re: Re: Re: Postwar will rise again

postwar-prewar-mpc,what ever you collect,as said, the value will only be as good as the folks who remember them.

and with all the reproductions going on,this takes its toll on the 1st issued trains.prewar is great stuff,i like the metal trains of the 20s and 30s,and this was my parents era.but after looking over ebay and other hobby suppliers in the used ,i decided to go to mth for their lionel reproduction # 10 standard and passenger cars.in a ready to run set.i love it and it has proto # 2.and cost less then a prewar in the box set.all said, if you want it, get it, and run it, and have fun, lifes short don,t bank on anything.

thank you.

Replying to:

I agree to a point. Prewar trains are very strong especially examples in EX or better with nice boxes. Postwar die out? I do not think so. However, I do agree strongly with the fact that today's collectors who are getting old: They never want to sell any items out of their personal collections. I've been hounding my dealer for years now to part with one of the several sealed in master carton 773's he has(late variation) and guess what: he won't sell! That's no problem on my account because I know he and the majority of the top collectors can't live forever and they can't take their collections with them when they pass on. Rest assure, thats where I will step in. I don't mean to sound morbid but I'm speaking the truth.

Replying to:

Replying to: