Train City - Choochooauctions Message Forums​​​​​​​

Technical Issues
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
I'm wondering????

First off, I am not going to reveal the name of the business I am wondering about because I do not wish to slander this person. Those of you who read classic toy trains probably came across a merchant listing who features Mint Postwar. I was tempted to buy a pair of 2373's that were graded Mint++ with high grade boxes and master carton when a fellow collector informed me that this seller has been known to counterfeit Lionel boxes as well as alter equipment and pass it off as Mint. If anyone has any knowledge of this or knows who I am referring about, please drop me a line.

Re: I'm wondering????

I know of only one dealer that deals specifically in mint post war that advertises in CTT. I actually have had dealings with him, and have no reason to believe that he would do as you have said. Although there could be others as I don't get much time to read the magazine. I think the better way to go about this is to contact the dealer himself and ask questions, rather than bring accusations even if you don't name names in a forum like this unless you know what you say to be factual.

If you are truly interested in purchasing the item, give the guy a call and ask him some pointed question. One of them should be about his return policy. If you feel comfortable after talking with him, then order the piece if you really want it. If he has been advertising in CTT for a while, call CTT and ask them about his reputation. If someone has been advertising for a long time in a publication, probably they have good business practices.

All it takes is one deal that the guy unknowingly sent a piece out to a collector that had some sort of a problem, gets the receiver mad or suspicious, and rumors start. Or the person on the receiving end starts them vindictively. That has probably happened to every dealer who advertises in CTT at one time or the other no matter how good they are!

But Mint++. There ain't no such thing!

Charles Siegel

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

First off, I am not going to reveal the name of the business I am wondering about because I do not wish to slander this person. Those of you who read classic toy trains probably came across a merchant listing who features Mint Postwar. I was tempted to buy a pair of 2373's that were graded Mint++ with high grade boxes and master carton when a fellow collector informed me that this seller has been known to counterfeit Lionel boxes as well as alter equipment and pass it off as Mint. If anyone has any knowledge of this or knows who I am referring about, please drop me a line.

Re: Re: I'm wondering????

First of all, use common sense here. A perfect example is the previous ad in CTT that stated "Rubber Stamped 2333 SF AA Mint with High Grade Boxes" Come on give me a break! Any serious postwar collector knows that rubber stamped 2333's in "Mint" condition do not exist! They are seldom found in Excellent condition! I know of one collector on the east coast who purchased a pair of factory sealed pair of 2333's along with a sealed pair of 2245's. Sure the boxes and master cartons were factory fresh brand new but guess what...when he opened the 2333P and pulled the insert out and removed the cottony wrapping, there was evidence of very minimal flaking in the silver on the roof...hence, they may have been brand new but they were not mint! Some collectors may argue the possibility of them being resealed but for a dealer to pay 20 grand in 1998, I don't think he would have if he had any doubts about them. Then again "Joe" is no dummy.

Replying to:

I know of only one dealer that deals specifically in mint post war that advertises in CTT. I actually have had dealings with him, and have no reason to believe that he would do as you have said. Although there could be others as I don't get much time to read the magazine. I think the better way to go about this is to contact the dealer himself and ask questions, rather than bring accusations even if you don't name names in a forum like this unless you know what you say to be factual.

If you are truly interested in purchasing the item, give the guy a call and ask him some pointed question. One of them should be about his return policy. If you feel comfortable after talking with him, then order the piece if you really want it. If he has been advertising in CTT for a while, call CTT and ask them about his reputation. If someone has been advertising for a long time in a publication, probably they have good business practices.

All it takes is one deal that the guy unknowingly sent a piece out to a collector that had some sort of a problem, gets the receiver mad or suspicious, and rumors start. Or the person on the receiving end starts them vindictively. That has probably happened to every dealer who advertises in CTT at one time or the other no matter how good they are!

But Mint++. There ain't no such thing!

Charles Siegel

Replying to: