This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
copy paste html

1.ms word has a feature of being written and saved as webpage.
if one can prepare a webpage offline and load it at a suitable time , there is a distinct advantage.
for example , one can work in a library with his laptop and upload the material on return.

2. i used the bravenet forum for a suggestion regd a soln to my problem... but, it is for uploading a different matter.

shall be thankful if u can offer a soln.

3.regd. terracotta temples, i have a situation. i have a mix of digital and hard copies of fotos.hard copies have been scanned and used.this particular panel is a portion of a long shot... i am happy that i could get some details .
after the text progresses to 70% level, i shall go back to these temples with my digicam. hopefully, uniform sizing will be possible at that stage.not now.

4. but, your statement of the problem regd this particular panel's sizing is not clear to me.
besides, this site opens in 15-20 seconds in my comp. which has no high speed conn.

Re: copy paste html

1.there is an error in my problem statement made @ 10.13 am today. i wrote :
"when i copied the html code in a page of my website, i found the pages missing.text was intact."

what i should have written :
"
when i copied the html code in a page of my website, i found the photos were missing.text was intact. "

2. the requirement for :

a file in ms word-->saved as web page---> converted to html---> copied to ??? method to a page in an internet site has another application.
my travel diary gets into the website w/out time consuming re-writing .

Re: copy paste html

Oh, yes! Creating pages offline and uploading is indeed a very superior method compared with Wizard. We are completely in agreement.

Yes, MS Word has a "Save as html" feature, as has some other MS programs intended for other purposes, such as Excel and Publisher. I believe these can sometimes be useful. On intranets, where all the users have had the same software installed, this may possibly be a useful way of sharing documents. Because you all access the same directories in shared files on the intranet.

When trying to create a real website, though, there are several issues that will give you problems. The one most likely to be the problem in your case is that MS Word will invent new directories on it's own without informing you. You will need to edit the code, or create directories to match. Also, the nonstandard code may give you problems. Oddly enough, sometimes those pages will display images in other browsers, but not in Microsoft's own Explorer.

As I haven't spotted missing images on your pages, and you seem to have other pages (travel diary?) not linked to, I cannot be more specific.

Word may not be the worst possible choice of program to create pages offline, but out of hundreds of programs I would probably rate it among the top 5.

If you download that page in 15-20 seconds, you are either loading parts from cached files in Temporary Internet Files on your computer, or you have a connection that gives you between 40 and 50 kilobytes a second.

Today, I download faster than your 15-20 seconds on my computer, but when i had a modem, i would be happy to receive stuff at a tenth of the speed you are reporting. Which means 150-200 seconds on a good day for that page.

Besides, 15-20 seconds is ... well, not ideal. Authorities differ a bit on how long the average visitor will wait for a page to load. Some say 4-6 seconds, some say 10.

The problem, I guess, is that there is no such thing as an average visitor or an average visit, for that matter. But if you think your site is of interest to the general public, you should realize that a lot of visitors will have changed their minds in 15-20 seconds.

Re: Re: copy paste html

Do you always use a spanner when inserting screws. A hammer would work better and a screwdriver would work better still. MS Word is a spanner when it comes to creating web pages. The code it produces is 95% information for converting back to a Microsoft Office format, 4% obsolete HTML and 1% page content.

Take that 1% page content and enclose it in modern HTML and you end up with a web page that is a small fraction of the size and which your visitors will actually see instead of giving up and moving on before it finishes loading (assuming that you also have your images optimized for web use).

Re: Re: copy paste html

dear gentlemen,

1.from the 2 mails i hv recd, i find there is noway i can upload directly my travel diary or notes made on my laptop in msword to a web page .

will appreciate if anyone can offer a soln.
i believe a soln does exist because otherwise microsoft would not have had this feature.

2.the travel diary +fotos (which were found subsequently missing....the situation that brought me to this forum) belong to a different web-page.

but, i thought i can obtain a soln frm here.

3. i shall remember the time for opening the site.when ready, this webpage will have many photographs and therefore this issue will need addressing.
at the same time , it will be for people who would be interested in this subject.

rgds