General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
A few letters home. 1862

Gentlemen,

We have fought a valiant campaign here in 1862. I had the opportunity to bring home several letters and notes from soldiers who had either passed away or who had lost them from the hospitals in Richmond. If you or anyone knows of the these brave soldiers of which they wrote home to their families, please pass the word along. The names and units have been torn off as to not disclose the location, but maybe we can locate their families. I hope soon to rejoin the regiment. I am getting a furlough home as soon as my wounds heal from Sharpsburg.

Corporal Duckworth
28th NC
Gordonsville Hospital Virginia

I have them in order from the times they took place.

March 31, 1862

I take my pen and paper here to write you a few lines that will hopefully make your day a little better. We have fought a short scrap here in Rockford, NC. The yanks got bowled up in a little ravine just below the Rockford supply store up here in Surry County. Not sure how the blue devils got here so soon and how they crossed through so much of our territory, but nonetheless they headed in our direction in force. Brave Captain Provost Marshall Lieutenant Adjutant Fightin' Cheek was back after wounds in 61' led a fierce frontal attack against the well entrenched federals. Captain Baucom led our small detachment around their flank and we opened up on them before they could see us. Most of them were killed or captured. We did not give them no quarter. It looks like we may very well be headed to Virginny next so if you do not hear from me, let these words make it back to you to let you know I am all right..

Your loving husband............(torn, there are blood stains around the bottom of this letter)(Found at Richmond).

April 1862
New York Prison
somewhere in Yank land

Mama,

I writ you a few lines to say I am all right, but am capturred and am up herr in a prizon. I defended Fort Pooolasky with as much bravery and honour I could, but we were forced to surrenda after dey bout blew us to smithereens! Our brave Colonel Olmstead never let us down and by fer saved us from gettin kilt. We were sent nawth on a boat and am in a prison. They ain't much ta et, but it is still cold up her. Send some blankets and socks if you can.

Yer son.......(torn from bottom)(this appears to have been sent back by another soldier and it was stated this boy died of pneumonia up in that yank prison)

TO BE CONTINUED......

A few letters home. 1862 PART II

Continued,

I do not know how this got here, but here is a letter from the Fort Macon Campaign. It looks to be Union.

Corporal Peter Griffin
Rhode Island Troops, Fort Macon Garrison

We arrived at Bogue Banks in April of 62. Hehaheheehhhha Bogue, sounds like Booger.. Anyway, our regiment immediately loved the surroundings and thought this would be a great place to battle. The fort was an old masonry fort and we thought it would be ours for the taking. On Saturday the entire land force formed up toward the fort on the beach. We were protected by the large dunes and were hidden from their pickets. We moved forward in full battle line led by the nefarious Colonel Curt ColQuagmire.
Our Captain Baucow led the right wing and we had Lt. Chickenstein to carry us forward. The dunes then became a quagmire of foilage, vines, and very dangerous cactus, yeah the stuff they say is out west. One soldier took a hit that we thought was from gunfire, but actually it was a cactus went through his shoe. I believe Captain Cravin' knew that soldier.

We finally reached the Confederate picket line and we at once opened up with crisp volleys on them. We did stand in silent shock as our arch nemesis, Private Bobby Harris stood in our way! Bobby Harris had made his reputation in slaughtering Rhode Islanders. You had to keep your head down as he was an eagle eye sharpshooter. We advanced further even though he was across that deadly space. The right wing began to take effect and our left wing, made up by Irishmen led by Captain Lee, pressed the their right. With many a Huzzah, we pressed forward closer to the Fort.

We came to a large hill, but just before I looked back, and on another dune closer to the beach, I saw women with parasols with what appeared to be image boxes. Shaking my head in confusion, I pressed on. We came up the hill fighting the brush and gunfire till we crested the hill. At that precise moment we were told to get down and the full brunt of the Confederate artillery opened up on us!

The battle stopped there and we hunkered down for a bombardment as our ships and land mortars and artillery reduced the fort. The three 32lb cannons from the Confederates fired as long as they could.

The next morning we heard more artillery fire, but finally the white flag lifted and we marched into the fort. We formed up on all sides and presented arms as those rebels in the fort sure did put up a fight. We could not find Bobby Harris. I suppose he took off to fight another day.

Corporal Peter Griffin....

-------------------------------------

Getting back to Confederates, this appears to be from the Cross Keys and Port Republic battles

North Carolina soldier to home

Dear ma,

We were in a right smart fight with Ole Blue Light at some place called Cross Keys the other week. We formed up in line of battle through thick tall grass and moved out from our camp. On our right was a white frame house and we waited under the shade of trees for a little while while our pickets went out in search of the yanks. They were there all right. Before we went in Old Stonewall himself rode through the lines to our amazement. You could hardly tell he was a general. He was as dirty as we were, but there was something different about him. Yeah, I'd follow him down to hell and back if we had to fight the devil! We pressed forward and our left engaged the majority of the yanks which actually turned out to be rather light. We must have hit a single wing of their army or more were to come, but we did not see anymore. Fighting beside me was our neighbor ole Yankee Killer himself David Harrill and he was laughing all the way when we advanced. He particularly takes pleasure in sending them yankees to their maker. We pressed the yankees till they made one last strike but we met them with a cold volley that drove them from the field.

Back at camp, we had a good time feeding off of Yankee stores and chit chatting with some new friends from Maryland. Bill Shores was back from his stint up there in a Yankee prison and he had bagged him several yanks up until he took a hit by a stray bullet. Oh he is all right, he is mending. We had a Texan join us as well as some folks near Charlotte and they seem like good fellers. I believe our regiment has gained some fine fellers this past year. Bob Etzler on expanded duty from the 13th NC fell in with us when he heard the Yankees were coming. He was just sad there were not as many yankees there for the taking.

A few letters home. 1862 PART III

The next battle at Port Republic did not go too well. Fresh off our small victory at Cross Keys we learned that the yanks were holding a ridge and we were sent to drive them off. Again the left wing force engaged the federals and again, there were only a few of them. We begged our commanders to be able to help them by firing into their flanks, but we were held back. Captain Baucom allowed us to fire a few rounds into them anyway. Corporal Bob Etzler and David Harrill were the most furious, but we were too. We wanted in on the action. We were turned to take a Union artillery battery about a mile away. We charged across the field and took many casualties in doing so. We eventually made it to the top of the hill but the last shot hit me in the belly. I am now in a hospital in Ric...... (stops here)

TO BE CONTINUED>>>>>>>>>

Re: A few letters home. 1862 PART III

This is really good! Can't wait for the next installment! Thanks!