General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Those of you attending Maryland, My Maryland have a decision to make...

Men of the 28th North Carolina Regiment!

Sgt Jeff Frank and I will be heading north to Maryland on Thursday morning. We will do some site-seeing at the Sharpsburg Battlefield before traveling to the site of Maryland, My Maryland. We will register, set up a camp, and then move on to South Mountain to spend the night with our compatriots in the 13th NC Troops. We will participate in the marker dedication there at 10 am Friday morning and then return to camp. I am planning to bring some country ham and biscuits, cereal bars, corn nuts and brownies to live on for the weekend. I hope you are making your plans for meals, as there will be no 28th NCT commissary. I sure will miss that, Mrs Lori Henderson! As I write this, I don't know which battles on what days we'll be involved in. Maybe all of them! But, one thing I do know, is that we'll have a decision to make Saturday night. Stay on the front lines overnight or return to the comfort of camp. I, for one, feel that I want this event to be as memorable as possible. Rarely do we have the opportunity to sleep on arms. Those staying on the front lines overnight will be in the area of the very early Sunday morning corn field battle. Those coming from camp, the reserves, will have to get up earlier and march to that place. I feel sure some of you will want to camp on the field Saturday night. As your captain, I feel obliged to be with you there. Think about this. We'll need to make our plans Friday. Our sergeant-major has stated that an officer and an NCO must be with both groups. Thankfully, in Lt Cheek's absence, we'll have Capt Monte Bringle and the men of the Gallant 63rd NC Troops falling in with us. So, we'll have enough officers to cover both groups, if some of you must return to camp Saturday night. So, be prepared to make a decision about this between now and Friday. Drive carefully. I look forward to seeing you all there!

JH Baucom
Commanding North Carolina Troops