General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Maryland, My Maryland, I wanted this week to just tie up some loose ends

Maryland, My Maryland
September 7 - 9, 2012

Dear Participants,
We are now less than a month away from taking the field together. Work on site continues, with many volunteers now clearing camps.

I wanted this week to just tie up some loose ends, and also to address medical emergencies during scenarios.

First the loose ends:

If you are coming civilian, and are planning to be in the civilian only camp ( known as Keedysville) please go the event web site, then click on the icon for Participants, and in the drop box choose civilians. At the bottom of the civilian page, there is a link to join the Yahoo Group. This group is working to recreate a period tavern along with other excellent scenarios, so do join in the fun and sign up to help out.

Next- there seems to be some confusion about Saturday nights camping arrangements. If you do not want to camp on the battlefield, you may stay in camp. Both sides have some battalions going, and others not. If you do not choose to camp on the field, then you must be formed, inspected and on the move by 5:20am Sunday morning. On the Confederate side, my Field officer of the Day, Lt Col Heffner, will be in charge of forming and moving the Confederates to the field that morning, and on the Federal side General Lavis will lead you there.

If you are not in the Frost Town action Saturday night, and wish to camp Saturday night on the field, you will need to be formed and inspected by 9:30pm Saturday night. If you are in the Frost Town fight, and wish to camp on the field, at the end of that scenario you will be guided to the proper spot for the evening.

All troops who are going to camp on the field who were in the Crampton's Gap fight MUST move out at 9:30pm as one body. I will not and cannot have messes and companies groping about in the dark trying to find us. Property lines and military structure dictate that. So if you are not formed and go with the columns Saturday night, you MUST wait for the morning columns to move out.

Once upon the field Saturday night, we go "live" and strictly military till the end of the Cornfield scenario. We will conduct ourselves all night as per 1862.

If you are ordered to do something, you will do it.

After the morning engagement Sunday, all troops will stay in the field till the A.P.Hill public scenario. So plan to eat breakfast out of your haversacks.

And bring PLENTY of Ammunition. I will say that again, Bring plenty of Ammunition with you to the Cornfield, whether you head out Saturday night or Sunday morning. We have 2 really hot fights and need to be prepared.

Finally- Medical emergencies on the field.

Every Battalion Adjutant must have a 2 foot by 2 foot yellow cloth in their haversack. In case of a LIFE THREATENING emergency, pull it out and wave it over your head at the spot of the injury. Anyone seeing such, immediately cease fire. This is only if someone is in danger of dying...PERIOD. Staff will take over from that point.

And troops, NEVER EVER yell medic, it is not a period term, and will start modern medical attention.

We expect troops to act as if hit, screaming and rolling on the ground in agony....but if asked if they are truly ok, must break first person, tell us,and then go back the acting.

If the yellow flag goes up, we cease fire, bring in the medics, and then resume.

If someone is injured, but their life is not in danger, move them to the rear of your lines and find a staff officer with a radio to advise us of the situation.

And gentlemen, we expect each of you to continue to prepare for the physical part of the event. Keep yourself exercising at least 20 minutes a day, start loading up on water, and the week of the event, be sure to get plenty of sleep, so you do not start the weekend on a negative sleep vector.

We have never had someone truly injured at one of our events, but we have many who did not prepare themselves for the physical activity.

Reenacting is an "extreme sport" and we expect you to train as such.

More information next week, we are almost there...

Pards,

S. Chris Anders