General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Company C, 28th NC Sketch

First of all I would like to introduce myself. My name is Patrick Moser and I have recently joined the 28th NC. I am from Catawba County, and the majority of my ancestors who were in the Confederate Army were in Company C of the 28th NC, including my g-g-g-g-grandfather Maxwell A. Sigman and his two brothers.

I am in possession both an original and a 1978 reprint of a book that was printed in 1911 by Prof. George W. Hahn, a veteran of Company E, 32nd NC. The book includes sketches of all of the units that included soldiers from Catawba County, a brief sketch of each soldier, and photographs of many of them.

The sketch of Company C, 28th NC was written by 1st Lt. J.P. Little, and includes accounts of all the major actions the unit was involved in, although some are relatively brief. Most interesting to me is that it includes an account of how one of my ancestors, Laban Yount, was killed by a shell along with 2 of his comrades during the battle at Chancellorsville.

As the book was not subject to copyright, I have scanned the sketch written by 1st Lt. Little as well as the sketch detailing his service history. This includes a photograph of him, also. I have provided a link to these scans on Flickr (hopefully this works the first time).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/82817429@N04/

Hope to see you soon.

Re: Company C, 28th NC Sketch

Hello Patrick! Glad to meet 'ya!

Welcome to the Mighty 28th NC family!

Congratulations on your proud heritage. That book you have sounds like a real treasure. Perhaps you could bring the reprint to an event for us to read and talk about? I've got a real strong feeling that we'll vote to add Co C, the Catawba Farmers, to our roster at our annual meeting in January!

Have you looked at our schedule? I hope you'll find many opportunities to fall in with us as we enter the second half of the year. Lot's of great events are on the horizon!

Also, do you have a Facebook account? If so, our page there is very active. "The 28th North Carolina Troops Companies I, F & B" is the name of the page if you want to search for it. Also, I am there as John H. Baucom of Hamptonville, NC. Please send me a friend request!

Also, our "parent" organization has a great website and Facebook page. More information about us and our organization can be found there. The website address is http://www.1stncbattalion.com/ and the Facebook page is called "1st NC Battalion / 4th Regiment ANV"

I look forward to meeting you soon! Ours is the most meaningful and fulfilling of all "hobbies!" You'll get to see things and go places the general public never does! You have much to look forward to!

If you have questions, don't hesitate to contact Lt Cheek or myself. We stand ready to help!

Highest regards,

JH Baucom
Captain

Welcome to the 28th Patrick! Hope to see you at an event soon.

Sgt. Frank

Patrick,
Again, welcome to the 28th!!! Thanks also for sharing the information on your ancestor.
It has been a pleasure talking with you on and off and glad also that you will be able to go with us to Gettysburg in August. In all, we have about 15 of us from the 28th going along with about 50-60 others from various units associated with the 4th Reg. ANV (11th, 38th, 27th, 13th NCT), 63rd NCT, 24th VA, 49th NCT, and 20th SC. It should be a great time!

Glad that you were able to meet up with Rex to finish out your impression. Can't wait to meet you in person.
Greg

Thanks everyone for the welcome. I have received all of my equipment, minus shelter halves, which should be coming in tomorrow. I am looking forward to meeting everyone at Gettysburg.

AWESOME!!!