General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
May 12 (Saturday) - Yadkin County Confederate Memorial

This memorial is sponsored by the Yadkin Gray Eagles SCV Camp. The service begins at 2PM, but please be there by 1:30 to prepare.

This year it is being held at Courtney Baptist Church in Yadkin County. Stan Clardy will provide music for the occasion.

Directions from Yadkinville: Travel south from US 421 on US 601 for about 3.5 miles. Turn left on Courtney-Huntsville Road and go about 1.2 miles.

Then take a slight right on Courtney Church Road. The church will be about 500 feet on the left.

For GPS, the address for the church is 3341 Courtney Church Road, Yadkinville, NC 27055.

We are hoping for 16-20 rifles. Please try to attend this.

Re: May 12 (Saturday) - Yadkin County Confederate Memorial

Reenactors are very much needed for this one. I know there is a lot going on with memorials this month, but please consider helping on this one if you can spare a couple hours of your Saturday.

We will be honoring at least 16 Confederate Veterans buried there including 3 in the 28th NC Co. I, 2 in the 38th NC Co. B, 4 in the 42nd NC Co F, 3 in the 54th NC Co H, and 2 in the 1st NC Artillary (10th NCT).

There will be of refreshments and cake afterwards. We have a nice shady spot next to the Church picked out for the service as well.

Hope to see you there.

We are almost ready for Saturday. Hope to see you there. The weather looks very promising also.

I plan to be at the church at 10 am with the trailer to begin the setup for the memorial service.

Who's with me!!!

I'll be there!

Thanks, Jeff! Once again, YOU ARE THE MAN!!!!

The service went well! We had a crowd of around 30 or so spectators and about 10 veteran 28th members at the service. Weather was perfect, partly cloudy and breezy. We held the service in the shade of a tree.Stan Clardy got us fired up with his patriotic songs. Camp 1765 Commander Greg Cheek gave a stirring talk on the action taking place during the year 1862. We then marched over to the cemetery and fired three perfect volleys in honor of the 15 Confederate veterans that we knew of that were buried there. Andrew Cheek played "Taps" after the volleys. A reception was held afterward in the church's fellowship hall. The highlight of the reception was the cake which was decorated with a flag of the Yadkin Gray Eagles. It tasted as good as it looked! Many thanks to Selena Adams and Lois Cheek for hosting the reception. I appreciate the members of the 28th NC Troops and the Yadkin Gray Eagles who supported this moving and memorable Memorial Day service.