General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
"Our State" photo shoot

Y'all check out the pics Kevin just posted from the photo shoot that "Our State" Magazine took to go along with their story on Col Asbury Speer. Many thank to 1st Sgt Brian Henderson for being our spokesman/model for the session!

BTW, in the picture index, look for the "General" tab on the bottom left. I reckon Brian got promoted...Lol!

John Baucom
Captain

Re: "Our State" photo shoot

Also, while you're in the photo gallery, have you checked out the 2011 Rockford pictures? There is a great pic of a double Bigfoot sighting there back in March!

I have seen the magazine! The story on Colonel Speer is very well done and Brian's photos are great! I'll try to remember to bring my copy to Bost to share with you. I'm glad we had the opportunity to participate in the making of this issue. There is a sidebar to the article that talks about our unit and gives our website address for more information. Perhaps we will garner a recruit or two?

John

Is it this month's OUR STATE magazine?

Brian

http://www.ourstate.com/william-speer

Very awesome article!!!

Thanks for posting the link! Yes, it is the September issue, on sale now!

Deanne,

I received the September copy of "Our State" in the mail yesterday! Philip Gerard did a great job on the article. The story was true to Speer's personal conflict: duty or personal desire. His story is similar to so many men who fought for the South. Most felt that they had no choice. Their sense of duty demanded that they step up to defend their homeland during that critical time. Yes, some had to be conscripted. But most went early on and freely.

When doing first person interpretations, I "channel" my Great-Grandpa, 1st Sgt George W. Baucom, Co D, 37th NC Troops. He came from a large family of subsistence farmers. But, when Governor Ellis sent out the call for all patriotic men to volunteer to defend their state, he answered. A 21 year old single man, he was present or accounted for with his company from the day he enlisted in Union County to the day he signed a parole at Appomattox. Captured (with Speer) at Hanover Courthouse, he was exchanged and returned to his company. Even after suffering a wound in the leg at Chancellorsville he returned to duty. The only thing my family has that belonged to him is his hand carved walking stick that he had to use the rest of his life because of his bad leg. One of the reasons I reenact the War Between the States is to tell his story, which I feel is so very similar to most North Carolina Troops, in the face of "political correctness" that says the South fought to preserve slavery while the North fought to end it. NOT!

Like their Revolutionary War ancestors, North Carolinians fought for their FREEDOM!

I'm glad your story did not get drawn into that cesspool!

Anyway, I'll get off my soap box!

Thank you for sending me the magazine. I really appreciate it and will treasure it. I'll take it to reenactments for the next while to share with my fellow reenactors.

I also really appreciate you finding us and allowing us to be involved with this project. You and your staff did us great honor. We would be happy to work with you again in the future!

My highest compliments to you and your staff,

John Baucom
Captain
28th NC Troops

Dear Mr. Baucom,

Thanks so much for taking the trouble to write in response to my piece on the Yadkin Stars, and glad to know you are helping to keep the legacy of those brave men alive. The whole slavery issue often clouds discussion of the war, since while it is true that many of the wealthy planter-politicians fomented secession, it was left to ordinary men to fight on behalf of their states, and they did so for a variety of motives and with a bravely that seems hardly imaginable today.

Thanks again, and maybe I’ll have a chance to meet you some day during a reenactment.

All best,

Philip Gerard

Dear Mr. Gerard,

I am very happy to hear from you! Creative writers are near and dear to my heart as I was the features and sports writer for my high school newspaper (Piedmont High School Monroe, NC, class of 1976) and went to college on a journalism scholarship (Wingate University, class of 1978). While doing all that, I had a part time job at Monroe Hardware Co., Monroe, NC, where I am still employed today as a sales representative. Funny how life works out, huh?

My journey into War Between the States reenacting started some years later in 1995. My Dad gave me a copy of the book "Baucom Footprints in Carolina" by Margie Williams Baucom. In the book I took note of the pages devoted to Baucoms who served in the Confederate Army. There were a lot! My Great-Grandfather George W. Baucom was one of them. About that same time, I read in our local newspaper about a reenactment event over in Rockford, in Surry County, NC. That's only a 30 minute drive from my home, so I went to see it. It was a life altering experience for me! As soon as I saw the troops move down the road and into position for the battle- before the first shot was fired- I knew I had to get involved! And, a month later, I was a member of the Sons of Confederate Veterans and the 21st NC Troops out of Winston-Salem! I learned about both of them at this reenactment!

I've always been a history buff and loved the course in school. My Dad served in the Army Air Corps during WWII in the South Pacific theatre, so I grew up hearing about his military experiences. I guess it just all came together!

Reenacting is a life style. Fellow reenactors become a part of your extended family as you endure all kinds of experiences during the encampments, including weather, logistical situations, battle scenarios (that can work out perfectly or, at times, go wildly awry) and health concerns. We travel at our own expense and are away a lot of weekends. Our unit, the 28th NC Troops, usually has 17 to 19 events on it's calendar every year! We come to perceive it to be our duty- our homage to our gallant forefathers- who, as you say, endured deprivations and horrors we can only vaguely imagine.

So, I appreciate what you and "Our

State" are doing to recognize the common North Carolina soldier, his intentions, his conflicts, his suffering, his spirituality and his sacrifice. That's the same thing we're trying to do as we go forward to educate anyone who will come out a watch a reenactment and listen to our first person interpretations. We North Carolinians have a proud heritage! A heritage worth remembering and celebrating!

I would be very glad to meet you at a reenactment! Please keep our website among your favorites and take note of our event calendar. If you would like to put on a uniform and learn a little bit about how a North Carolina soldier operated, we'd be glad to accommodate you! Perhaps your life might be altered, as well!

With my highest regards, I am,

John H. Baucom
Captain
28th NC Troops

just received my issue of Our State magazine. Great story on Col. Speer, and the Yadkin Stars. glad the 28th was recognized for what it does, well deserved.See everyone at Allisons Woods.
Pvt Turner

Thanks Bobby! We'll see you there!

John