General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Arsenal Packet Labels

FYI...I have provided Arsenal packet labels, from the Fayetteville Arsenal & Armory, for the following ammunition types.

- Smooth-Bore Musket, .69 cal, Buck & Ball
- Enfield Rifle & Rifle Musket, .577 cal, Conical Ball
- Mississippi or Austrian Rifle, .54 cal, Conical Ball

They are available via the 1st NC Battalion web site at, http://www.1stncbattalion.com. Go to the Links page, then look for "Ammo Packaging" under "New Articles".

Re: Arsenal Packet Labels

Great! We all need to get busy with this, Appomattox is getting closer every day! Thanks, Jeff!

John

Looks good Jeff.
Have you made any packages yet? and if you have how did you keep 10 rounds together so you could get the paper around them?
John

I have made just a few, still working on the technique. The rounds are kept together during packaging by using a jig made for that purpose. Two parallel pieces of wood at a distance where the width of five rounds will be snug. My current jig is 2 5/8" wide.

I used the following resource which is a great "How To".
MAKING CARTRIDGES, By Patrick Reardon
http://www.lazyjacks.org.uk/cartrdge.htm

Since I am not packaging authentic rounds, but our normal blank rounds (including a tube of 12 caps), the packages are a little smaller than the originals.

I have modified the jig (work surface) described in the MAKING CARTRIDGES article by blocking in the rear of the jig as well, to keep the rounds from squishing out the back-side (that doesn't sound too good does it!). I start by using a block (the size of the finished package) and folding the wrapper on one end, placing the folded end in the jig, filling the package (alternate the direction of each layer of five cartridges), add a tube with 12 caps (perpendicular to the cartridges), fold the other end and then tie the package using hemp twine.

I'm thinking my jig "modifications" may not be an improvement over the period correct method. It is estimated that the Confederacy produced over 150 million cartridges during the war. With that much practice I am sure they developed the most efficient method.

Sources for Materials

Wrapping paper: Masking paper from Lowes (paint department). Comes in rolls 9" wide by 180 ft. long, $2.48. Available in brown and green (use brown for expanding ball rounds and green for musket ball rounds, per the US ordnance manual). For wrappers cut to: length 9", width 6 1/2".

Hemp Twine: Ball of hemp twine from Hobby Lobby (jewelry department), $4.99 (I think).

I also just received a rubber stamp for stamping wrappers from the Richmond arsenal (stamp text below).

10 Cartridges
Buck & Ball
Cal. 69
Richmond
Arsenal

Great stuff Jeff! Sounds like some work though.

Maybe we can organize a rolling and assembly party somewhere before Manassas. I think we should plan on about 110-120 rounds per soldier. Thats about 1 pound of powder each ($12). Factor in the paper rolls, and it comes out to about $20 per soldier. We could roll up enough for the group and then have everyone pay the unit adjutant for them.

What do y'all think?

We will need plenty of help with the rolling though.

Hey Jeff,
This masking paper you refer to is the exact type of paper the 38th uses exclusively....
It has several purposes.
One is the wax coating on the paper makes the round somewhat resistant to moisture,and still meets 4th Regiment requirements. Also, all paper is the same on the battlefield and you don't look out and see newspaper,phone book,funny papers and ect....