General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Carolina's Campaign

Hope everybody is back and safe at home by now. Had a great time as always and look forward to fighting with the Mighty 28th again soon!

Corporal (High C) B. Duckworth

Re: Carolina's Campaign

Gentlemen,
I trust that all made it home from St Pauls alright.
I would like to congratulate you all on a job well done.
Although the planning of the weekend by the host of the event and Saturdays battle left a little to be desired,
You all did an excellent job....
Orders were followed effectively and volley's were excellent.
I would like to thank the men and officers of our sister unit,the 28th North Carolina Troops for allowing us to be a part of their company for their weekend,and also thank them for their friendship...There are no better guys in the hobby.....
Also I would like to thank Captain Baucom for offering me command for Sundays battle.It was a most gracious jester,and one I will not forget. An officer could have no better men to led onto the field than the men of the 28 and 38th troops.
I would also like to thank the men of the 20th North Carolina Troops for their friendship as well as for their culinary skills...Both the meals and comradeship
around the fire were excellent....I hope in the future we can return the favor...
Those who ate Saturday evening meal,who have not paid yet,make sure Mike gets your $3.00. I was going to let it go and not charge,but the 1st Sgt has already paid his and we do need to get our funds up so we can have operating capital....Without patting myself on the back here,I would say it was worth $3.00 wouldn't you?
I will not go into detail here on a day by day review. I am almost certain that the 1st Sgt will do that and post his report on here a little later...
I am glad to see that our attendance is up from last year,and I hope it improves even more.
Even though we did not plan to do any recruiting at this event,we did get 2 good prospects,and I hope it comes to fruition..
Our next event will be Appomattox in April..More will be posted on this event as it gets closer..I would like for as many who can to be there as it is a special program put on by the Park Service, representing the companies of Scales Brigade,which the 38th was a part of...
Job well done men!
In your service,
John Siemers
38th North Carolina Troops

Re: Carolina's Campaign

After fighting at Rockford and a short week of rest and recuperation, the regiment was ordered to move to St Pauls, NC, where we prepared to meet Sherman's raiders, who were moving into the Old North State from the south after burning their way across Georgia and South Carolina. Linking up with our comrades of the 20th and 38th North Carolina Troops, we fell in with the 1st North Carolina Battalion for dress parades and drill. It was a particular honor for our unit that one of our own, Capt Greg Cheek, was serving on the command staff of the regiment for the first time. By all accounts he did an outstanding job!

Early in the afternoon, word came that the yankees were nearing our position and we moved into the woods to confront them. As 5th Company, we were entrusted with the protection of the left flank of the 1st NC Battalion. We were formed in line of battle in the woods and moved forward to feel out the enemy's position. The thick underbrush was a grievous hindrance, felling many a good man, including Sgt Roberts, but yet we moved forward and found the enemy, formed strongly behind a hastily thrown up abatis of felled trees and underbrush. Although the fight was hard fought, the men of the Old North State were not to be denied, and we moved forward time and again to push the yankee from his protected position. Finally, he could stand no more, and fell back into the open field. Now the hard fighting began! Reinforced by artillery and cavalry, we met an enemy who had been similarly reinforced. As the horrified townspeople of St Pauls watched, we shed our sacred blood on the harvested peanut field as we were pushed back into our camp where nightfall brought a welcome break from the fighting.

On Sunday morning, our numbers diminished but still strong and proud, we formed once again for dress parade. Here I must mention our regiment's new drum and fife corps. They did a wonderful job all weekend and I personally thanked them for the service and dedication to the Cause! We were dismissed from drill and allowed to return to camp to hold church services. Chaplain Mike Marcela led services in our camp and did a wonderful job sharing God's Word with us. Almost immediately after the service, the order came to fall in, and, once more, we moved out to meet the foe. The enemy had been reinforced over night and when we met him in the woods, we met an energized and much stronger foe! The fight was on as the yankees, at first, fell back and then pushed forward with unnatural strength! We were, this time, compelled to fall back into the open field. After reforming in line of battle, we laid down a heavy fire on the yankee invader. At first, we were ordered to fall back, but then, as the battle raged, our gallant wing commander, Major Decker, had a brilliant idea! His plan was to use his hammer, the hardened men of 5th Company, the anchor of the Confederate left flank, to attack and outflank the yankee infantry line. It was a bold plan, but required us to face and fight US cavalry in the open field before we could get into position to fire into the infantry line. But, in spite of this knowledge, we moved out quickly and bravely, into the jaws of death! Supported by heavy artillery fire of the Charlotte artillery and Confederate cavalry forces, we moved at the double quick, fighting the cavalry all the way, until we made our way to an outcropping of woods. There, we could avoid fighting the cavalry in the open field while threatening the yankee infantry. The plan was an unqualified success! The enemy fell back in confusion, taking heavy casualties, and was compelled to surrender the field to the forces of the Old North State! Praise God!

We left St Pauls safe and sound, at least for now!

John Baucom
Captain