General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Here was the challenge...

...from a young friend who had a paper to write for college...

I dont want this to take up much of your time. If you could just write a little bit about your basic involvement of the event or just any information like how long you have been doing it, why you enjoy it, what your role is, how you got started, or anything else related to the reenactment. Im thinking just a paragraph or something. The majority of this paper is going to come from my experience; your information will be helpful to see it from the eyes of a regular participant. Anything you write will be helpful but it doesn't have to be formal or long, just whatever is convenient for you. Thank you

Re: Here was the challenge...

Here was my response:

It was good to see you and your folks up at JEB Stuart's birthplace this weekend. It was a beautiful and fun weekend!

I have always had an interest in history. I thought of taking it up as a major and teaching when I was in college, but I already had a job at the hardware and ended up sticking with that. I especially recognized the fact that the War Between the States was the most important transitional event in our country's history.

It was in 1995 that my Dad gave me a book called "Baucom Footprints in Carolina" that listed my 13 direct relatives who left their homes and families to fight for North Carolina. I know my Great-great grandfather had donated the land and timber to build two churches (one for the white folks and one for the black folks) in my home town of Olive Branch, near Marshville, NC, back in 1852. As I accepted Jesus Christ as my Saviour at the Olive Branch Baptist Church, I felt a kinship with them and the times they were living in.

My Great-grandfather, George W. Baucom, enlisted in what would be Co D of the 28th NC Troops in May of 1861. They would become part of the Branch-Lane Brigade and would fight from New Bern, NC, until the end at Appomattox. He was wounded in the leg at Chancellorsville and held as a prisoner of war after being captured at Hanover Courthouse. He was present or accounted for the entire war. He was barely 20 years old and was not married during those years.

So, knowing all that, I saw an ad in the local newspaper in 1995 telling about a reenactment that was to be held in Rockford, NC, that weekend, and decided to go and see it. I was hooked immediately! As I saw the action going on in front of me, I said to myself "I've got to do this!" As soon as the battle was over, I went over and met the reenactors and got information about both the Sons of Confederate Veterans and reenacting. In less than a month I was involved in the 21st NC Troops, where I was a member for 11 years, and the Norfleet Camp of the Sons of Confederate Veterans. Today, I am Captain of Co I of the 28th NC Troops, a unit I helped co-found in 2006, and commander of the Yadkin Gray Eagles Camp of the Sons of Confederate Veterans, of which I am a charter member.

During these years, I have taken part in events, large and small, up and down the east coast and as far west as Shiloh. I have done Confederate Memorial Day Services in most of the counties of our region. I have toured battlefields from Gettysburg, Sharpsburg, and Charleston over to Shiloh and Corinth. I reckon my most memorable reenactment was the 135th Anniversary of the Battle of Gettysburg, the largest reenactment in US history, with 30,000 or so reenactors. It was huge, with full scale reenactments of the Pickett-Pettigrew-Trimble Assault involving 11,600 Confederate troops! And, I have done educational living history programs for schools around our region, sometimes with only two or three folks.

It's all part of an effort to:

1) Have fun! I enjoy camping and the camaraderie of like minded living historians, learning the drill of North Carolina Infantry and seeing the places they served their state in spite of the overwhelming odds against them. The 28th North Carolina Troops is the best place in the world to do that! www.yadkinstars.org

2) Educate! I enjoy helping folks see what was really at stake during those years of conflict, and how it has affected the history of our state and nation.

3) Keep the truth alive! Part of our charge as members of the Sons of Confederate Veterans is to tell the true story of the Confederate Soldier, to remember his sacrifice, and to defend his honor. Our public educators have given us a woefully abbreviated and one-sided perspective on the war and why it was fought. Many folks have denigrated and misappropriated the flags and symbols of the Confederacy. Truth and honor demand a response from those who know the truth and cherish it.

As to the part that I play in a reenactment, it depends on whether we are hosting the event or just participating. Usually it is the latter. In that case, we generally arrive at the site of the event on Friday evening, setting up our camps and reuniting with our friends and comrades late into the night.

Early on Saturday morning, we begin with reville and arise to cook our breakfast over the campfire. Around 9:00 AM we form our company and participate in dress parade, where we form up with the other reenactors and get our orders for the day. Most reenactments have an afternoon battle on Saturday and Sunday. On Saturday morning, we drill and practice the scenarios we will be participating in. At most events we have an area known as "sutler town" where folks who sell the things we need as reenactors set up and provide us uniforms and equipment, food and drink and usually a Saturday night dance!

end of part 1...

part 2...

On Sunday morning, after breakfast, we have church call. It is a special time for me! To sit in the shade of a tree and hear the word of God preached in Spirit and in Truth, as my ancestors did many years ago, is very moving to me. I will never forget the service at Gettysburg in August of this year, where we observed the Lord's Supper. The Spirit of God was there in a powerful way!

After the Sunday afternoon battle, we help each other pack up, say our goodbyes until next time, and return to the modern world, where raising a family and earning a buck take precedence. All the while, we remember the places we've been and look forward to the places we'll be seeing each other again, showing the Battle Flag, honoring our ancestors and remembering the Cause!

Thanks for your interest. I hope this helps! As I said to you earlier, it's hard for me to share my thoughts about this hobby without writing a book! Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Yours, respectfully,
John Baucom
Captain
28th NC Troops

Ok, what do you think? What did I leave out? What would you have said?

Well done John.

Thanks, FA.

All we now is a good illustrator.

Couldn't have said it better, John. Reading that makes me wish I had started in this hobby long before I did. You've done our ancestors proud.

Thanks TS!

Great Job Captain,

I enjoyed this read, it took me back through your eyes as to how you came to be the Captain we follow into battle after battle!

HP Duckworth

Thanks HPD!

CJB!

Well Done!

Thanks SW!

CJB