Return to Website

Sixth Marine Division Web Forum

Welcome to the Sixth Marine Division Association's Web Forum. Post your question or comment below and answer any post by clicking on it if you wish. (HTML is allowed).

If you prefer, you may also post on our <a href="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sixth-Marine-Division-Association/200771499939039">Facebook page</a>

Sixth Marine Division Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Cpl Robert "Bob" Hunter 22nd Guam/Okinawa. Anybody know him?

Cpl Hunter was my father. He passed away in 1990 (at a veterans hospital). He was 65.

Dad, like so many of the courage men that fought in WWII rarely spoke a word about his experience. From what he did tell me, he fought in Guam and Okinawa. Sugar loaf hill. He was a machine gunner and apparently used the flame thrower.

I loved my Dad so much. He earned the purple heart on Okinawa. I've read up on the action there. No wonder he spoke little about it. If there is a hell, that was it.

I wanted to know if anyone on this site might know of him. for some reason "company c" is coming to my mind. I don't know for sure.

His best friend "Tiger" Morano I believe was with the 4th and went into Nagasaki after the bomb did its "thing".

If anyone would like to contact me even just to give me an account about your experience, I'd like to hear about it.

You men were the greatest generation. Also the most humble. I know that most don't look back upon their duty with "glee" but with the satisfaction knowing you got it done. Courage is facing fear and going through it. And, I know Dad did just that. He was a quiet, humble, strong good man.