Return to Website

Sixth Marine Division Web Forum

Welcome to the Sixth Marine Division Association's Web Forum. Post your question or comment below and answer any post by clicking on it if you wish. (HTML is allowed).

If you prefer, you may also post on our <a href="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sixth-Marine-Division-Association/200771499939039">Facebook page</a>

Sixth Marine Division Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
PFC John B Quinn any information ('B' ) Company

I'm looking for information or anyone who may have sevred and remembers my uncle John B Quinn Jr. He was K.I.A. June, 1945 'B' company First Battalion 29th Marines

Re: PFC John B Quinn any information ('B' ) Company

Larry, I don't know anyone from your uncle's company but I perhaps can help you with some basic information about his service. Here is what I could find about your uncle (can't guarantee it is 100% but probably pretty close):

JOHN BERNARD QUINN, JR.
Branch: United States Marine Corp Reserve
Service No.: 00925537
Specialty: Infantryman
Unit: B Co, 29th Marines
Hometown: Brooklyn, NY
Next of Kin: Parents, Mr. and Ms. John B. Quinn, Sr.
Address: 5215 Ave. L; Brooklyn, NY
Died: July 29, 1945
Burial: Buried at Sea

I can't seem to find any burial information for him so it would seem the buried at sea might be correct for him. My guess is that he was wounded on Okinawa, taking to a ship and then died on the ship.

I would suggest that you send his name and his service number to the Marine Corp and have them pull the casualty file. That will contain the information you need to find out information on exactly when and how he died. All of those casualty cards are filed by service number.

Hope that helps!
Christina

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I'm looking for information or anyone who may have sevred and remembers my uncle John B Quinn Jr. He was K.I.A. June, 1945 'B' company First Battalion 29th Marines

Re: PFC John B Quinn any information ('B' ) Company

Hoping this finds you well. Please contact me soonest as I have information regarding your uncle. I was a Marine stationed in Okinawa, Japan in 1987-88 and 1992-95. I actually have a recovered dog-tag belonging to PFC John B Quinn Jr found in a cave on Okinawa and would be thrilled to get it back to your family. Also, there are records indicating PFC Quinn was not recovered during WWII (Defense Prinsoner of War * Missing Persons Office) and a memorial was placed in Honolulu HI with his name.
Major Kerry J. Quinn USMC (Ret) c540-295-1910