Return to Website

THE WORD OF TRUTH Discussion Forum

A place where Christians can discuss issues related to the Word of God, the Gospel of Christ, and life in Christ Jesus.

THE WORD OF TRUTH Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Consider The Right Source

This will go in unison to what was written on "the gospel is the power of God unto salvation" message that I posted.

I continue to get more and more amazed at how many people think they can bring a person to Christ by disproving other ideas.

People dabble in the areas of "evolution" or "islam" or even "hinduism". I do not think it is wrong to disprove these things but IF you do try to do it than you had better know what you are talking about. I have seen so many make fools of themselves because they did not have enough understanding in what they were fighting to suceed. The point I will be getting across is this. There is a sacrifice that is made in this type of work.

First of all you have to center all your attention on this false doctrine and off God's word. You have already concluded it is false (which takes away the whole purpose of trying to see if it IS true or not) but you decide to fight it anyway. Some people have lost their faith because the things they were trying to fight ended up looking convincing to them. Dabble with certain things long enough and it could very well be the thing that corrupts you. In order to "disprove" something on your own you have to know a lot about the thing you are disproving. However people do not realize that this is not neccesary. I know that allah is not God. But I did not have to read the Koran or read everything about muhammad to know that.

Second of all, all the focus is on YOU. It's up to YOU to disprove this doctrine so you have to take in all this knowledge and study all these doctrines so you can be victorious in your attempts to change minds. GOD was the one who revealed the truth to you so GOD will be the one who reveals it to others. Sure God can use you in this process but not like this. God never told anyone to disprove false gods and myths. However sometimes people get to dependant on THEM doing the work. So with that being said what you need to be focusing on the TRUTH not the lie which brings me to my next point.

Thirdly and lastly what more does the individual know about God after you have presented this arguement? OK so now they know that a certain myth is not true, but that is it. The people are not growing in their understanding of God when all their time is invested in these types of works. Churches go on discourses on why allah isn't god rather than why GOD is God! They need to hear the good word of God then things like "false doctrine" will make more sense.

Overall I do not want to sound like I am condemning people who are doing such works. There is place for things like this but we can't rely on these types of works to help a person see Christ. It can be helpful from one point of view but it can also be dangerous also. I speak from experience really. It may be good work to a certain degree but it is not for everyone. Focus on Christ. Focus on the gospel and much better results will come. You cannot reveal truth on your own, But God can reveal it through you. Trust him to give you the words to say so you can minister effectively to others.

In Christ,
Bro. Jonathan

Re: Consider The Right Source

Brother Jonathan is right in bringing this topic up. We are living in a day when the Gospel has been "upstaged" by "other" things. It is not that disproving things are wrong, but it is that it is not "right"
Sometimes the question is not "is it wrong" but "is it the best things?"
If a person has not heard the Gospel how will disproving a false doctrine sound to them? If a person is distant from God do they have what it takes to understand why wrong doctrines are wrong? It would seem like a waste of time.
No Apostle ever used the argument that God loves people in order to save them, just look it up. They always preached Christ and then when the people responded and believed the Gospel, then they were able to properly understand God's love.
There is a right way )and a wrong way) to present Christ. The Apostle Paul said that we preach Christ "crucified" that is to say, "having died to save us from our sins" this may not be popular to bring up sin, but unless Christ is presented as He is "the sin bearer" men will be continent to remain in their sinful condition. If men present Christ as "loving" people just the way they are (in their sin) what possible motive could there be for leaving sin?
This is not the way that God has represented the case. Men must "repent" in order to be saved. They must want to change before they are given grace to repent. John the baptist said that men should bring forth "fruit" unto repentance which implies that they know that they have offended God and can see that they need to change. God has provided the means to change in the person of Christ Jesus, but it is only as we are associated with Him in His death that we are also associated with Him in His Life!

In Christ,
Robert Cobb