Return to Website

THE WORD OF TRUTH Discussion Forum

A place where Christians can discuss issues related to the Word of God, the Gospel of Christ, and life in Christ Jesus.

THE WORD OF TRUTH Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Why So Harsh?

Some people might wonder why we are so harsh in our dealings with false doctrine. It may seem wrong but we must realize at times it is very appropriate. Especially in our day fierce rebuke is foreign and considered by some to be "unchristian". I will show in scripture why I speak in such a manner to those who pervert the gospel of Jesus Christ.

We have a text here in Titus Chapter 1 that speaks of this kind of thing. We will see that those who promote a twisted version of what God said are not to be taken lightly.

TITUS 1:10-11
For there are many unruly and vain talkers and deceivers, specially they of the circumcision: Whose mouths must be stopped, who subvert whole houses, teaching things which they ought not, for filthy lucre’s sake.

This verse alone shows how serious this kind of thing is. It is NOT something to be quiet about! If someone comes proclaiming some message that contradicts the gospel and leads others away from Christ that are to be rebuked. The false doctrine must be torn down and exposed for what it is. Not just for the sake of the one proclaiming the lie but also on behalf of the listeners. Exposing false doctrine for what it is protects others from being deceived by strange fables that men invent. God has means of tearing down these doctrines. His people whom he has given to see his truth are one of the tools in doing this!

Just to expound more on how serious false doctrine is let me share with you a text from Galatians chapter 1 where it talks about those who preach "another gospel"

GALATIANS 1:9
As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.

Pretty strong words are they not? That is how God feels about "other gospels". Let's be specific now. "Another gospel" does NOT mean that there actually are several gospels. There is only one true one and ALL other ones are lies. THAT is the point. If it is not in unison with God's given record then you are proclaiming this false gospel.

GALATIANS 1:6-7
I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel: WHICH IS NOT ANOTHER; but there be some that trouble you, and would PERVERT the gospel of Christ.

So I hope this encourages you to be strong and defend and word of God! Do not feel like it is wrong or being to hard to rebuke gainsayers. Your not doing it out of anger but out of consideration of others who read and hear these things. I pray that all brethren would have enough understanding to be able to detect a lie when it arises around them!

Why So Harsh?

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMEN

Re: Why So Harsh?

Thank you Brother Gary. I was wondering when we would see you again. Glad to hear from you!