Return to Website

THE WORD OF TRUTH Discussion Forum

A place where Christians can discuss issues related to the Word of God, the Gospel of Christ, and life in Christ Jesus.

THE WORD OF TRUTH Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Real Witnessing

1 TIMOTHY 3:15 But if I tarry long, that thou mayest know how thou oughtest to behave thyself in the house of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and ground of the truth.

Today in the so-called church there is much emphasis on "saving souls". People are told that they need to witness to sinners and I quote "need to talk about Jesus". This troubles me somewhat. Do those in Christ really need to be instructed in such a way? Does it make sense for a believer, who has been born again and made a new creature in Christ, to be TOLD to talk about Jesus?

If there is anything that makes me sick to my stomach it's a professing Christian who doesn't like to talk about Jesus. Those who love Christ cannot help but talk about him. They cannot contain the things they know of him so with gladness they speak to others of him. We live our lives pleasing unto God so that others can witness the good fruit that comes from being in Christ. So with that being said it seems silly to have a group of believers and do nothing but tell them to talk about Jesus to others.

Churches should not be telling people how they need to witness to sinners so attendance numbers will increase. They need to expound Christ and GIVE THE PEOPLE SOMETHING TO TALK ABOUT. The church is not for people who want to stay sinners, it's for repenting sinners and those who are alive to God. Back away from worldly programs that attempt to "draw sinners" in. Build up the body of Christ! Increase their understanding in the word. After all if you are not built up and growing in your understanding then what good are you as a witness?

I hear sermons that say nothing but this "we need to witness to sinners and get them in the church". OK if I was still a wicked sinner what good would that message have done me? You get the sinners in just to tell them to save sinners? Doesn't make sense does it? The body of Christ has to be strong in order to operate well. Build up your brothers and sisters in the Lord!

This does not take away the importance of witnessing to others. But if others are going to benefit from what you have to say you have to expound Christ. The church is a place where that is done.